• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 07:18 AM

When I saw the trailer for "The Core" in the theatre during "Nemesis", the line by the 'teenage hacker' was "I'll need star trek tapes and hot pockets".

When I just heard the same commercial on the TV, it was "I'll need sponge bob tapes and hot pockets".

Utterly, utterly trivial.

At the same time.. what gives? Why would they make such a petty change? And why do I care?
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 07:34 AM

As long as they don't cut out the shuttle crash, I'll be happy. :thumbs-up:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#3 BizzyD17

BizzyD17

Doomed From The Start

• Islander
  • 774 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 09:51 AM

Dj Qualls he's freaking funny!  :lol:  

You'll be happy to know on Much Music USA they show the full trailer between music videos,and He does say "I'll need star trek tapes and hot pockets"  ;)

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,752 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 03:34 PM

I heard about this in an earlier thread, maybe on another BBS -- that different versions of the trailer have different versions of the line.  This was the case months ago, and it's not a new change.  I think the thread I read mentioned there being different versions tailored to run before different movies, to appeal to different audiences.  Weird, yes, but what else can we expect from advertising?  More and more trailers these days contain material that isn't even in the films they advertise.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#5 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 06:06 PM

I hate to say it, but perhaps it's because Star Trek has completely lost its status as an emblem of nerd chic for anyone under age 30, and the filmmakers wanted a hipper pop culture reference.  

Interestingly enough, they're both Viacom properties-- as is The Core.

Zack
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#6 cylkoth

cylkoth

I'm a non attorney spokesperson

• Islander
  • 6,593 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 09:13 PM

^ :eek: Spongebob????   Hipper than Trek?!!
And now I 've heard everything...
Poor, poor, Star Trek.... :blink:

Edited by cylkoth, 22 March 2003 - 09:14 PM.

------------------------------------------------------
Am I Blue?
Am I Blue...
Ain't these tears, in my eyes, telling you?

#7 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 09:16 PM

Chris-- I musta missed it then.... oops.

Zack--- :eek: :eek2:. I thought SpongeBob was a children's show, not one that was supposed to be popular among nerds....
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#8 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,752 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 09:50 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Mar 22 2003, 01:07 PM, said:

I thought SpongeBob was a children's show, not one that was supposed to be popular among nerds....
It's a kids' show with a lot of adult fans, like all the best kids' shows.  (Though I'm not much into it myself.  I prefer The Powerpuff Girls.)
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#9 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 01:01 AM

I wonder which version will in the theater, and which on the special edition DVD. :blink:  :rolleyes:  ;)
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#10 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 03:26 AM

Christopher, on Mar 22 2003, 12:41 PM, said:

It's a kids' show with a lot of adult fans, like all the best kids' shows.
It's more along the lines of B*rn*y and TeleTubbies; SO MUCH a kid show that there's NO WAY the oldish kid in the movie would even be able to STAND it for more than a few minutes. The only adult fans of the show have been identified as "gay men", which combined with the nature of the show, would seem to be code for "pedophiles", since there's no way an adult without some screws loose would like it.

Edited by Delvo, 23 March 2003 - 03:26 AM.

#11 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 03:32 AM

Delvo could you clarify what your code for pedophile comment refers to?  I've never watched this show.
Posted Image

#12 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 03:51 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Mar 22 2003, 06:23 PM, said:

Delvo could you clarify what your code for pedophile comment refers to?  I've never watched this show.
It's just very, very, very, very kiddie. Unwatchably, disgustingly kiddie to healthy adult brains. Like I said above, there are only a couple of other well-known comparable examples. Also, in the report that said the show's popular among gay men (which they seem to have found out through gay men's organizations), the men's reasons for liking the show mentioned things like that the main character is "innocent, naive and trusting" and "in awe of the world without knowing much about it because he hasn't had cartain experiences yet".

#13 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 03:59 AM

Delvo, on Mar 22 2003, 07:42 PM, said:

Una Salus Lillius, on Mar 22 2003, 06:23 PM, said:

Delvo could you clarify what your code for pedophile comment refers to?  I've never watched this show.
It's just very, very, very, very kiddie. Unwatchably, disgustingly kiddie to healthy adult brains. Like I said above, there are only a couple of other well-known comparable examples. Also, in the report that said the show's popular among gay men (which they seem to have found out through gay men's organizations), the men's reasons for liking the show mentioned things like that the main character is "innocent, naive and trusting" and "in awe of the world without knowing much about it because he hasn't had cartain experiences yet".
I think that's a pretty ugly stereotype, and not very accurate. I think the majority of adult males who watch a show like that are fathers, for example there's guys where I work who have talked about both SpongeBob SquarePants, and Recess and both of them are as far from being gay as you can get.

#14 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 04:04 AM

Thank you DWF for saying it, and so much more calmly than I would have.

:)

Lil
Posted Image

#15 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 04:28 AM

^^^^Your welcome. :)

#16 Avalon

Avalon
  • Islander
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 05:09 AM

Delvo, on Mar 23 2003, 12:17 AM, said:

since there's no way an adult without some screws loose would like it.
HEY!!!  Hold it right there, mister!   :angry:

Delvo, I happen to think I'm a (fairly) sane 42-year-old, and I think Spongebob is a scream.  "Like B*rn*y and Teletubbies"?  Not hardly.  Okay, so Spongebob is...well, a little silly and goofy, but it's also got some hysterically funny moments (and hey, it's even got more continuity than Andromeda these days!   ;)  ).  Like the episode where Spongebob finally gets his driver's license from poor traumatised Mrs. Puff... :crazy:

Personally, I think some of the gags are brilliant.  But that's just me.

I'm not gay.  Or a man.  I AM an adult.  And I like Spongebob.  So there.  Nyyyyaaaah.   :p  :p  :p   (See, you can even TELL I'm an adult... ;)  :lol:  )

*pats DWF on the shoulder*  Nicely said, D!   :)

#17 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 06:17 AM

DWF, on Mar 22 2003, 06:50 PM, said:

I think that's a pretty ugly stereotype, and not very accurate.
True, but I wasn't abou tto filter out what these guys said about themselves just because we don't like it.

#18 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 07:12 AM

DWF, on Mar 22 2003, 07:50 PM, said:

I think that's a pretty ugly stereotype, and not very accurate.
I completely agree. I'm also glad you said that. :)
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#19 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,752 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 01:03 PM

Delvo, on Mar 22 2003, 07:17 PM, said:

The only adult fans of the show have been identified as "gay men", which... would seem to be code for "pedophiles"...
That is a disgusting and slanderous stereotype.  The average gay man is no more interested in children than the average heterosexual.  Sexual predators choose their victims based on vulnerability, not gender, so sexual orientation has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Facebook Author Page

#20 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 01:34 PM

And thank you Christopher for saying it more or less how I would have said it.

It IS a disgusting and completely inaccurate stereotype.  

Lil
Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users