Crime Racism Bill Bennett Abort Black Babies

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1 schoolpsycho

schoolpsycho
  • Islander
  • 893 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 07:45 AM

For the full transcript of the call,  click here.

This is according to Bill Bennett:

"I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down. "

Further...

That would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. So these far-out, these far-reaching, extensive extrapolations are, I think, tricky.

This is from a guy who wrote children's books preaching moral values. Y'know, it's good he covered himself with what I quoted in red, otherwise I'd say...

BILL BENNENT IS A RACIST SCUM SUCKING PIG, WHO WOULDN'T MIND BLACK BABIES BEING ABORTED.

Oh, maybe he WAS speaking HYPOTHETICALLY. And of course, his ass is saved by the First Amemdment. But his statement wreaks of racial genocide. And if he SAID it, you knew he MEANT it, and if he MEANT it, part of me wonders, WOULD HE HELP DO IT?

But, as usual, I'll be overeacting with this, right?

*sigh*

This is why we will never feel safe here. People like Bennett. Who hide behind a microphone, free to spew their racist intolerant views, and then say, "Hey, I was only saying what I thought.", because he can.

You know, it's ironic. There he was, selling books geared towards children. I wonder how many Black children read his books?

I know nothing will be done. He'll just go on doing what he's doing.

But, it would be nice to think we're equal. Nice to feel we belong. Nice to know we aren't second class.

It would be.

But everytime, people like Bennett make me see we'll never get to that point.

sp
Love is hard...and all there is.

#2 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 08:03 AM

But everytime, people like Bennett make me see we'll never get to that point.

****** Don't forget, though, that there are a whoooolllle lot of us who think Bill Bennett's a complete scumbag.  If I found him stuck to my shoe, I'd be looking for the nearest curb to scrape him off.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#3 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 08:08 AM

When Mr. Bennent was drug czar, he cut and ran because he couldnít take the heat. I think that about says it allÖ

Edited by emsparks, 30 September 2005 - 08:08 AM.

Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#4 schoolpsycho

schoolpsycho
  • Islander
  • 893 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 08:09 AM

Don't forget, though, that there are a whoooolllle lot of us who think Bill Bennett's a complete scumbag. If I found him stuck to my shoe, I'd be looking for the nearest curb to scrape him off.

Thanks, bro. :)

sp

#5 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 08:34 AM

He's taking a half hearted approach

Be tough on crime, abort everyone, everywhere, all the time.

That'll solve the problem. :devil:

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#6 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 08:59 AM

schoolpsycho, on Sep 30 2005, 04:45 AM, said:

But, it would be nice to think we're equal. Nice to feel we belong. Nice to know we aren't second class.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are first class with me, sp.  

{{{{{{{{{{{sp}}}}}}}}}}}

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#7 schoolpsycho

schoolpsycho
  • Islander
  • 893 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 09:05 AM

You are first class with me, sp.

{{{{{{{{{{{sp}}}}}}}}}}}

Thank you, Nonny. And you with me.

{{{{{{{{{{Nonny}}}}}}}}}}

sp

#8 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 09:50 AM

Remember that this is the hypocrite who wrote a book of virtues while defending his right to be addicted to gambling.

The racism of the comment boggles the mind.  No one who doesn't at least subconsciously believe that there is a "criminal gene" black people inherit could possibly come out with this even as a hypothetical.  And then, of course, he's an ally of the pro-life right.  His reprehensibility and his hypocrisy are beyond bounds, and no decent human being would pay him a moment's notice.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#9 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:30 AM

yea maybe every teen twit who gets pregnant should have theirs aborted too.  because y'know statistics CLAIM children of teen mothers are more likely to get involved in criminal activity. :sarcasm:  (YES this is sarcasm--so do not accuse me of behaving like this a** this thread is about because you don't read between the lines)

like it's the fault of the parents that their brat grows up to be a convict in training.  no matter what race or background.  :grr:

parents may teach their kids bad habits or manners but they don't teach them to commit crimes. (or if they do they are few and far between....like parents who teach their kids to shoplift or something)

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#10 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:47 AM

Liberals are handling this with spectacular dishonesty. He was responding to a book that says (among other things) that abortion has reduced crime, and deliberately using an absurd inference from that for the explicit purpose of pointing out how absurd it would be to view things with such simplicity. The first post in this thread even includes a second fragment of the full quote that shows that he himself agrees with all of you about how awful the idea in the first quote is, but you're all pretending it's not there and his point was exactly the opposite of what it really was.

#11 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:55 AM

The first post in this thread even includes a second fragment of the full quote that shows that he himself agrees with all of you about how awful the idea in the first quote is, but you're all pretending it's not there and his point was exactly the opposite of what it really was.

****** That's not the point.  He makes it clear that this is not something he's trying to advocate - I'm not saying Bennett was calling for genocide.  The point is, he specified black babies in his "I'm-not-saying-to-do-this-because-it's-horrible-but-let's-just-suppose" theory... Bennett makes it clear that he thinks blacks are more responsible for crime than anyone else.  That is the problem with it.  I don't think anybody's trying to claim that "Bennett thinks we should do this"; he's just pointing a racist finger.  

Cheers,

Zwolf

****** Edited to add: this isn't a construct of "liberals," either - Bush agrees that the statement was "not appropriate"  (it's a weak condemnation, but, hey, he's a weak man, it's the best he can do).

Edited by Zwolf666, 30 September 2005 - 11:59 AM.

"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#12 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 12:17 PM

Zwolf666, on Sep 30 2005, 08:55 AM, said:

The first post in this thread even includes a second fragment of the full quote that shows that he himself agrees with all of you about how awful the idea in the first quote is, but you're all pretending it's not there and his point was exactly the opposite of what it really was.

****** That's not the point.  He makes it clear that this is not something he's trying to advocate - I'm not saying Bennett was calling for genocide.  The point is, he specified black babies in his "I'm-not-saying-to-do-this-because-it's-horrible-but-let's-just-suppose" theory... Bennett makes it clear that he thinks blacks are more responsible for crime than anyone else.  That is the problem with it.  I don't think anybody's trying to claim that "Bennett thinks we should do this"; he's just pointing a racist finger.  

Cheers,

Zwolf

****** Edited to add: this isn't a construct of "liberals," either - Bush agrees that the statement was "not appropriate"  (it's a weak condemnation, but, hey, he's a weak man, it's the best he can do).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What ZWolf said. (and Cardie as well) The fact that the phrase actually came out the man's mouth makes him pond scum, IMO.

Edited by Rhea, 30 September 2005 - 12:41 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#13 schoolpsycho

schoolpsycho
  • Islander
  • 893 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 12:42 PM

Liberals are handling this with spectacular dishonesty.

I'm not Liberal. Just a pissed off Black man that saw my people's babies spat on, and "hypothecally", maybe killed to help solve a crime rate.

He was responding to a book that says (among other things) that abortion has reduced crime, and deliberately using an absurd inference from that for the explicit purpose of pointing out how absurd it would be to view things with such simplicity.

A reference if he had any morals, any conscience, any foresight, any clue, half a clue, half a BRAIN, he wouldn't have used, and he certainly didn't in any case.

Pretending????

I didn't pretend this:

"I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down. "

Or this:

That would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. So these far-out, these far-reaching, extensive extrapolations are, I think, tricky.

Because I read it. Because I heard him SAY it.

His point was, plain and simple, aborting BLACK babies would reduce the crime rate. He singled THEM out with his supposition.

It's there.

Racism. Bigotry. Supposed Genecide of my people.

Pardon me for pretending.

sp

#14 Grandtheftcow

Grandtheftcow

Imploder

• Dead account
  • 532 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 12:54 PM

All Iíll say is this seems like an overreaction to me.

Posted Image

#15 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 12:57 PM

Delvo Posted Today, 11:47 AM
  Liberals are handling this with spectacular dishonesty. He was responding to a book that says (among other things) that abortion has reduced crime, and deliberately using an absurd inference from that for the explicit purpose of pointing out how absurd it would be to view things with such simplicity. The first post in this thread even includes a second fragment of the full quote that shows that he himself agrees with all of you about how awful the idea in the first quote is, but you're all pretending it's not there and his point was exactly the opposite of what it really was.

Good post Delvo,  you paint the picture as it truely is.  It took the liberals 2 days to become offended,  as this statement was made on Tuesday morning by Bennett.

Zwolf666 Posted Today, 11:55 AM

****** That's not the point. He makes it clear that this is not something he's trying to advocate - I'm not saying Bennett was calling for genocide. The point is, he specified black babies in his "I'm-not-saying-to-do-this-because-it's-horrible-but-let's-just-suppose" theory... Bennett makes it clear that he thinks blacks are more responsible for crime than anyone else. That is the problem with it. I don't think anybody's trying to claim that "Bennett thinks we should do this"; he's just pointing a racist finger.
****** Edited to add: this isn't a construct of "liberals," either - Bush agrees that the statement was "not appropriate" (it's a weak condemnation, but, hey, he's a weak man, it's the best he can do).

I've heard for years,  the good Reverends Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton speak of how filled our jails are filled with with a majority of black folks.  How we need to help change that.  And I agree with them.

So its Ok for 2 black men to acknowledge that more crimes are committed by blacks (since they are the ones in jail) and your saying its not Ok for Bennett to say the same thing?

I don't think Bennett is any more racist than Jackson or Sharpton.  

RuReddy

#16 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 01:01 PM

The interviewer was asking Bennett (a pro-lifer), what he thought of the assertion of the book Freakonomics, that we lost lots of revenue that could have helped the country economically, with the loss of life to abortion.  It was an assertion one might have assumed that Bennett would have agreed with, since he's anti-abortion. (It was also probably a set-up... I'm betting had things gone another way, Bennett would have been ridiculed for his agreement with that statement.  As it turns out, though, Bennett was not in agreement.)  Instead, Bennett stated that he thought the extrapolation was too far out, and that he wouldn't agree with it.  He then offered as an extension that one could bring down the crime rate by aborting black babies.  On his website, he likens this to the literary device used by Jonathan Swift in the book "A Modest Proposal."

Here's a link to Bill Bennett's website where he addresses this matter: http://www.bennettmo.../featured.jsp#0

Here's a link to "A Modest Proposal" http://darkwing.uore...ear/modest.html

A MODEST PROPOSAL

FOR PREVENTING THE CHILDREN OF POOR PEOPLE IN IRELAND FROM BEING A BURDEN TO THEIR PARENTS OR COUNTRY, AND FOR MAKING THEM BENEFICIAL TO THE PUBLIC

It is a melancholy object to those who walk through this great town or travel in the country, when they see the streets, the roads, and cabin doors, crowded with beggars of the female sex, followed by three, four, or six children, all in rags and importuning every passenger for an alms. These mothers, instead of being able to work for their honest livelihood, are forced to employ all their time in strolling to beg sustenance for their helpless infants: who as they grow up either turn thieves for want of work, or leave their dear native country to fight for the Pretender in Spain, or sell themselves to the Barbadoes.

I think it is agreed by all parties that this prodigious number of children in the arms, or on the backs, or at the heels of their mothers, and frequently of their fathers, is in the present deplorable state of the kingdom a very great additional grievance; and, therefore, whoever could find out a fair, cheap, and easy method of making these children sound, useful members of the commonwealth, would deserve so well of the public as to have his statue set up for a preserver of the nation.

Here is also the proposal Jonathan Swift offered:

I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricassee or a ragout.

Clearly, Jonathan Swift advocated no such thing, but was critiquing the attitudes of the society in which he lived.

If someone offers me proof that Mr. Bennett is similarly critiquing American society with a hidden or not-so-hidden desire to be rid of its Black populace, I will accept his assertion of standing in the shoes of Jonathan Swift as valid, and accept that his singling out of black people for this example was valid. Otherwise, there was no reason to invoke race to make the case he made.  It would have worked just as well or better if he'd said that aborting babies of all poor people would solve crime.  Adding in race to this discussion opens old wounds, unnecessarily, unless there was actually a point about race to be made.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#17 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 01:02 PM

There is no legitimate reasoning you can give me to excuse this type of morally reprehensible statement. Were it anyone else, they would be up on hate charges so fast...

Hate speech is inexcusable.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#18 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 01:05 PM

RuReddy1, on Sep 30 2005, 01:57 PM, said:

I've heard for years,  the good Reverends Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton speak of how filled our jails are filled with with a majority of black folks.  How we need to help change that.  And I agree with them.

So its Ok for 2 black men to acknowledge that more crimes are committed by blacks (since they are the ones in jail) and your saying its not Ok for Bennett to say the same thing?

I don't think Bennett is any more racist than Jackson or Sharpton. 

RuReddy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The good reverends Sharpton and Jackson both tend to argue that the fact that black people are more likely to be incarcerated than white people is a symptom of racism.  There's evidence to support that, though I won't say that that is the sole accounting factor.  

More than that, I won't say... because I've asked for more information about Bennett in my previous post.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#19 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 01:06 PM

He could have just as easily said "White"  or "Hispanic", he just didn't.  That doesn't make him racist, it just means he put his foot in his mouth in a big way and said something very irresponsible, even if he was responding to a rather ludicrous statement in a book.

And he is technically right.. the crime rate or at least the juvenile crime statistics would go down. (starting in about 10-12 years).  You cut that much population out, and of course the crime rate would go down.... Race wouldn't matter a bit.

Corwin
"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

#20 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 01:13 PM

Zwolf666, on Sep 30 2005, 11:55 AM, said:

The point is, he specified black babies in his "I'm-not-saying-to-do-this-because-it's-horrible-but-let's-just-suppose" theory... Bennett makes it clear that he thinks blacks are more responsible for crime than anyone else.  That is the problem with it. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And the majority of inmates in prison are what color?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crime, Racism, Bill Bennett, Abort Black Babies

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users