Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Talking out of both sides of their mouths...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,295 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:25 PM

http://www.msnbc.com/comics/nw.asp

WEEK OF JANUARY 1, 2006
Chuck Shepherd's News of the Weird (.934)

LEAD STORY
(G)Ass Backwards: To support its December rate-increase request, the Connecticut utility Yankee Gas Services said it needs more money because too many of its customers have lowered their bills by heeding calls to conserve energy. And a November report commissioned by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce included the proposal that Congress replenish the federal Highway Trust Fund by imposing a special tax on gas-saving hybrid cars (in that those cars consume less fuel than regular cars and therefore pay less in gasoline tax). [Connecticut Post, 12-10-05] [Boston Globe-AP, 11-26-05]

Gah! How are we supposed to encourage people to move toward fuel conservation with stuff like this going on????

(Connecticut Post article here - unable to obtain the original Boston Globe Article)
http://nl.newsbank.c...l_useweights=no

Edited by QueenTiye, 06 January 2006 - 02:27 PM.

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#2 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:37 PM

well, we have to pay for roads somehow, and usually that is through gas taxes.  Currently in North Carolina there is a big stink because teh gas tax is calculated as a percentage of the total gas cost, so as gas cost goes up - so does the tax.  
But right now everyone wants the cheapest gas possible - so they are raising a stink.  But the truth is that the road construction costs increase with fuel costs, and therefore it is a good system for having enough money to build the roads.  

Now - taxing people for a hybrid vehicle *is* counter-productive for the fuel conservation movement - but how do you propose they fund the roads when everyone is using a more efficient vehicle?  What fair way should they use?

I'd love to think of a fair alternative - I'm not defending that tax, but I understand the reasoning.

***Is easily distracted***

#3 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,295 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:46 PM

Raise taxes across the board.  That would incentivise EVERYONE to find the savings in switching to hybrids!  To me - this seems a no-brainer. :(

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#4 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:48 PM

^Well, the simplest answer would be to remove taxes from fuel prices and replace them with a 'visible' flat tax on car ownership, (thus encouraging use of public transit) quit subsidizing the oil industry, (thus encouraging more fuel efficiency as prices go up further) and let everyone scream till they're hoarse about it all.

Nah, it'll never happen ;)
cervisiam tene rem specta

#5 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,295 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:01 PM

I like that idea even better.  Maybe we can get a Meme going on that subject.

And while we're at it... let me link to a thread here on Ex Isle...all about getting rid of cars!

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#6 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:11 PM

I don't see why there should be a flat tax on car ownership - I think the amount that you pay should be proportional to the amount of driving (and therefore road wear - and your contribution to the need of future maintainence) you do.  So far, gas is the best way to charge more for people that are causeing more damage to the roads.
Realistically, you aren't going to get Americans to give up their cars.  Our country just isn't set up that way.  Some major cities, perhaps, but the majority of America just could not support public transportation.  

Toll roads are the only thing that I've seen proposed that has the drivers on a particular road paying for the wear and tear and construction of the road.  And toll booths are a pain in the rear.

***Is easily distracted***

#7 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 02:08 PM

A couple of years ago we got a water rate increase. Why? Because we were in a drought and were under mandatory water conservation rules - we used less - so they charged us more cause they weren't bringing in as much money.

And we also got hit with an electic rate increase when we had a mild summer - we weren't using enough electricity!

#8 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,295 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 02:35 PM

This seems to speak powerfully to the problem of monopolies - they get us coming and going.  But oil companies aren't monopolies - is the industry as a whole in collusion to act as one?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users