22 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:05 PM

It looks good.  :cool:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Savage Jaw

Savage Jaw
  • Islander
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:37 PM

It looks brilliant, and it is ahead of Doctor Who in one respect in that it has been produced and will be shown in High Definition (unlike Series 3 of Doctor Who, as it appears the effects house The Mill is moaning that it would cost too much for rendering CGI at HD resolutions due to the amount of FX shots DW has).

The trailer also suggests we have heard the Torchwood theme music before.  It is based on some incidental music from the Doctor Who Series 2 episode 'Army of Ghosts', in particular:

Spoiler: click to show/hide
the incidental music heard during the first ghost shift after Jackie has introduced Rose to her "Grandad", when they go outside on the estate and see all the ghosts

It is a bit like how Stargate SG-1 uses cues of the Atlantis theme when there is a crossover like The Pegasus Project.
Formerly RaggedGlory

#3 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:02 PM

Looking good! :)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,752 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:39 AM

View Postsparked, on Oct 7 2006, 10:37 PM, said:

The trailer also suggests we have heard the Torchwood theme music before.  It is based on some incidental music from the Doctor Who Series 2 episode 'Army of Ghosts', in particular:

Are you sure that's the actual theme?  Trailers don't always use actual music from the things they promote; often they just use stock music from earlier productions.  (For instance, I heard a bit of Elfman's Nightmare Before Christmas score in a commercial for The Santa Clause 3 recently.)

It is a bit like how Stargate SG-1 uses cues of the Atlantis theme when there is a crossover like The Pegasus Project.

Or how Atlantis uses the motif from Joel Goldsmith's SG1 end title theme whenever SG1 characters or elements show up there (never David Arnold's main title theme, which would require paying Arnold extra royalties).
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#5 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 08:15 AM

View PostChristopher, on Oct 8 2006, 08:39 AM, said:

View Postsparked, on Oct 7 2006, 10:37 PM, said:

Are you sure that's the actual theme?  Trailers don't always use actual music from the things they promote; often they just use stock music from earlier productions.  (For instance, I heard a bit of Elfman's Nightmare Before Christmas score in a commercial for The Santa Clause 3 recently.)

If we're talking about movies I'd agree but not in this case music from the two part finale would be rather fitting.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#6 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 12:34 PM

This is looking pretty cool. :cool:
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#7 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 01:10 PM

I can't wait! I was pretty angry when they left Jack on that station without so much as a 'with your leave' or 'by your leave' :angry:

But now he's got his own spin-off :D

Looking forward to this one!

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#8 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,752 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 01:47 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Oct 8 2006, 02:10 PM, said:

I can't wait! I was pretty angry when they left Jack on that station without so much as a 'with your leave' or 'by your leave' :angry:

Well, the Doctor thought Jack was dead, and Rose was unconscious and in no position to tell him otherwise, if she even remembered resurrecting him (which I doubt she does).  So it's not like they deliberately left him.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#9 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 02:43 PM

:cool: :thumbs-up: :clap:

#10 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:59 PM

And here's the second trailer.  :cool:

#11 Savage Jaw

Savage Jaw
  • Islander
  • 222 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 03:20 PM

The official Torchwood website has launched - Official Torchwood Website

I've read somewhere that people trying to access the website outside the UK are not allowed access, although I don't know whether that is in relation to the whole site or the substantial video content.

Edit: I found this on Outpost Gallifrey for anybody outside the UK who can't access the site using the link above:

Edited by sparked, 12 October 2006 - 04:05 PM.

Formerly RaggedGlory

#12 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 03:51 PM

^^^Cool this is the first time I've been able to get in.  :cool:

#13 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:27 PM

nifty. :hehe:
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#14 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:56 PM

View PostChristopher, on Oct 8 2006, 07:47 PM, said:

View PostSparkyCola, on Oct 8 2006, 02:10 PM, said:

Well, the Doctor thought Jack was dead, and Rose was unconscious and in no position to tell him otherwise, if she even remembered resurrecting him (which I doubt she does).  So it's not like they deliberately left him.

Actually, if you take the 6 minute children in need special, the doctor specifcally tells Rose that Jack was still alive while they are on the tardis.

Callous and not part of my universe at least

*has a nice flat over the river in egypt*
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#15 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:00 PM

^^^more detail, please...

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#16 Atavus

Atavus

Buying more stuff on eBay

• Islander
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:20 PM

^^

It's a throwaway line from a special, produced for a UK charity fundraiser and was aired a few months before Christmas Invasion. It's set between the end of Parting of the Ways and Christmas Invasion.

When the regeneration starts going wrong, Rose suggests they go back and get Jack to help. The Doctor says: "He's busy. He's got plenty to do re-building the Earth." That's basically it.

You can watch the special here at YouTube.
Avid fan of "Everybody Loves Hypno-Toad" and Sophie

3000 posts and counting! :) - 18 October 05

#17 MegL

MegL
  • Islander
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:13 AM

Keep in mind that the Children in Need special has not been included with anyones (i.e. any countries) syndicaiton package for S2, from what I've heard so far. It is suppose to be on the DVD set, however. Anyway, maybe the comment about Jack is why the special hasn't been included?

No matter - eitherway I wouldn't be surprised if the entire line is forgotten if and when the time comes for the shows to deal with the situation :angel:.

#18 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 10:08 AM

^

The special probably isn't canon.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#19 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 10:14 AM

View PostJuris Rovvius, on Oct 14 2006, 11:08 AM, said:

^

The special probably isn't canon.

I don't see why not it was on TV and it was made by the official crew and Doctor, it's even got it's own forum at Outpost Gallifrey.  :cool:

#20 Sorceress

Sorceress
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 05:46 PM

the trailers look good.  i hope the show eps themselves prove to be as interesting as the trailers are.  

thanks for posting those links too.   :)

Edited by Sorceress, 14 October 2006 - 06:20 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users