• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:24 AM

Wow--I had a good time today.  *So* glad I went.  The people I went with are doing a book/film project called The Spandex Closet -- tracking the gay subtext in comics history (just as The Celluloid Closet did for film).  Just spent two hours drinking with them and (their friends) Phil Jimenez and Steve Sadowsky--*That* was fun.

Caught up with a few dealers I knew in the old days (when I was one of them) but haven't seen in -- about 15 years (oy).  

Brian Bolland signed my first printing of The Killing Joke.  

Shook George Perez's hand (*sigh*).  

Saw--Gary Coleman?!  (That was the freakiest moment, no question... especially as he was seated next to Peter Mayhew -- aka, Chewbacca...  so they put the little person next to the giant.)

Also saw the girl who plays Claire on Heroes.  (I think Tricia Helfer and James Callis were supposed to be there, but saw no sign of them.)

Said "hi" to Nick Brendan, who I'd met last year when he did a show with my friend Brad--I was shocked he remembered me, but he did, which was very cool.  He introduced me to Juliette Landau--Got a bit star-struck there.  (She's so good.)

Also sat in on some panels (gay identity in comics, Stan Lee, Joe Quesada).  

I'm going back tomorrow to spend some money.  :)

I'm eager to hear if everybody else had as good a time as me.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#2 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 07:42 PM

Well - family issues meant I got out late, had limited time to be there, and then didn't get to return today. :(  SO.... I had limited fun.  But I liked the show floor enough to have spent bunches of money, and CrimsonAvenger got lots of stuff he wanted.

One thing of value was getting out and about in the Comics world again... I've been getting comics on subscription, and I gotta say - it's fun to be consistent with the stories, but there's something about going into the store and browsing - there's a whole bunch happening in the DC universe that I didn't know anything about, but would have if I had been picking up the odd issue here and there.  CA wanted a Batman issue that featured his son (SON?!?!?!?!), and we found and purchased it... um... WOW... great storyline, and now I want to catch up with the series!  Etc.

I did make it to the American Anime awards, which was mostly a waste for me, since I'm not into Anime. That said, it was a hoot to see Samurai Shamploo nominated in the best long series category - it's the only Anime I ever really followed.

Critique - I thought program guides should have been ubiquitous - telling people how to get around the show.  Having just come from a convention in a business context, I am well aware of how a show can be run more effectively.  I would have liked to have planned my conference sessions, instead of finding out that I'd just missed all the ones I meant to see... etc.

And - I wish I had known when and what time Christopher was going to be around, as I would have said hello, and introduced CA.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#3 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:19 PM

I have a kind of strange admiration for the people who arrive in bizarre home-made costumes. I have a special fondness for the cute "anime-girl" get ups some of the chicks arrive wearing.

Random thought dump:
Javits Center continues to be NY's most ANNOYING location.

No matter how thirsty I get...still won't pay $3.50 for a 20oz soda.

God of War2 for PS2, rivals most PS3 games graphically.

20 square feet, occupied by 20 people...not an ideal situation for trade paperback shopping. :(

Marvel and DC's booths continue to be all but unapproachable.(although 2 of their editors loved my portfolio :upside: )

Gary Coleman frightens me. :(

Independent Comic publishers accepting CREDIT CARDs for purchases at their booths? Whoa! :eek:

The con shuts down about 2 hours too early.(on Saturday at least)

J. Michael Straczynski is older and WAY taller than I thought.

Next year I'll pay better attention to scheduling...so I don't miss my inevitable confrontation with Jim Lee.(long story :unsure: )

-scherzo
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#4 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:11 AM

View PostQueenTiye, on Feb 25 2007, 07:42 PM, said:

And - I wish I had known when and what time Christopher was going to be around, as I would have said hello, and introduced CA.

Yeah, I kept an eye out but didn't see him...  Chris, were you there?

View Postscherzo, on Feb 25 2007, 10:19 PM, said:

No matter how thirsty I get...still won't pay $3.50 for a 20oz soda.

I did, I was getting dehydrated.  We ended up eating having lunch on Saturday at the Irish pub I had recommended in another thread at 33rd & 10th -- Excellent burgers.  

Next year I'll pay better attention to scheduling...so I don't miss my inevitable confrontation with Jim Lee.(long story :unsure: )[/b]-scherzo

I wouldn't mind hearing that one ...  I had kind of a moment like that, too.  When Bolland was signing my Killing Joke, I happened to exchange a look with JMS, who was a couple of tables down.  I caught myself sort of crinkling my nose -- almost snarling -- at him.  I thought about mouthing "DS9" but was able to refrain myself.

#5 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:57 AM

Early last year DC Wildstorm had a contest where all comers could draw a 3 page Gen13 story from a script provided by one of their writers. The pages were to be evaluated by Jim Lee himself and Wildstorm's editorial staff, and the winner given a test gig for the company. I wasn't really actively looking for work, but decided getting my drawings in front of an industry top gun like Lee, would be a valuable experience. I downloaded their script,(which was AWFUL)took a couple of weeks, and put together a nice penciling submission for judgement at the Philly comic convention. I handed it off early Saturday at the DC booth,(where they explained they'd already received dozens of entries) and was told they'd announce the winner on Sunday. I knew I couldn't make the Sunday show, but was happy I was at least in the running for victory.

A week or so passes and I haven't been contacted, so I resigned myself to the fact that some hotshot phenom blew my stuff outta the water. I happen across a message board where some contestant lamenting his defeat, explains that one of the 4 finalists was a "no show" at the Sunday judging and was disqualified. I check the sponsor website, and sure enough...I WAS THE NO SHOW.  :eek2:

While I was glad to find out the pencils impressed Mr. Lee and co. I can't help but be annoyed that something as arbitrary as "attendance" could dictate your possibility of winning. Furthermore, the very detailed rules and regulations in their pdf said zip about mandatory attendance of the Sunday show, but DID demand contact information be included in the entry. Uhhh...why, if the winner has to be in your face anyway? :wacko:  So anyway I've been hoping to(nicely :D ) tell Jim about the way he jerked me around in 2006!      

-scherzo(of course, if he sets me up with a six figure assignment at DC, all is forgiven :p )
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#6 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:58 PM

Scherzo--I had no idea you were a sequential artist.  :cool:  Would you be willing to post one of the pages?  (Or maybe you have and I just don't know it?  I never really go into the creative forums.)

And, hey, if you were finalist, then you're obviously good enough to break in -- Maybe you'd catch more flies with honey?  i.e., if you get to talk to him, instead of unloading, explain what happened and see if you can talk your way into a short story assignment or something...  Don't reject the pity-assignment!!  Jim Shooter turned one (when he was *16*) into a -- magnificent -- career.  (I was reminded of that when I saw him whoring hawking his new thing... Seven...?  this weekend.)

#7 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,889 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:14 PM

Yes, I was there, but not when I was supposed to be.  I was scheduled for an X-Men: Watchers on the Walls signing on Friday at 6:30 PM, a joint event along with Wolverine: Road of Bones author David Alan Mack and cover artist David Mack (must've made for some confusing autographs).  However, I failed to make sufficient allowances for the vagaries and lunacies of Greyhound bus scheduling.  I'd thought that arranging to get there at 11:20 AM would give me plenty of time in case of delays, but oh, how naive I was.  I didn't get in line soon enough to get a place on the bus (despite having bought my ticket 9 days in advance -- hell of a way to run a railroad, or whatever), and there weren't enough people left to warrant a second bus, so I had to wait in the station five hours for the next bus out.  (Don't worry, they compensated us.  They gave us vouchers for $6.00 at the food mart!  Oh, such generosity!)  I was told that could get me to NY by 6:30 PM, meaning I'd be maybe 15 minutes late to the convention center, but it was the best I could do.  Then it turned out that getting there by 6:30 would require transferring to a nonstop bus at Columbus, but the line there was way too long for me to have a chance of getting on, so I was advised to get back on the bus I was on, which would get me there around 7:20.  Which would mean missing the signing, but at least I'd get there in time for the Pocket Books presentation at 8.  Or so the guy at Columbus told me.  Once I got to Cleveland, I was told I couldn't get there until 9:45.  But by that point, there was no other way I could go.  It was a much more indirect route than the earlier bus would've been, don't ask me why.  What with all the delays and roundabout travels, it took me 16 hours just to get out of Ohio -- which is about as long as it should've taken to get me to Manhattan.  And then we were about half an hour late leaving Pittsburgh, and traffic at that time of night added a further delay -- so I didn't get into town until about 10:45 PM, about 25 hours after leaving my apartment, and more than 11 hours late.

Anyway, my signing was rescheduled for Sunday at 3 PM, and it went fine.  There were about 48 books being given away, and I signed them all within about 16 minutes, which I think comes out to 20 seconds per book.  Oh, and I also went up to the Midtown Comics mini-store on the convention floor and signed their copies of Watchers as well.  More generally, I spent most of Saturday afternoon and part of Sunday afternoon hanging around the Pocket Books booth and occasionally wandering the convention floor.

During one of my wanderings, something struck the back of my head from behind.  I looked to see what it was, and apparently I had been struck by the ear (or horn or whatever) of a giant Pikachu who was walking around the floor.  Since the costume apparently reduced visibility to near-nil, the occupant remained blissfully unaware of inflicting the assault.  Just seeing a giant Pikachu walking around creeped me out enough -- now that I've been clubbed on the head by one, I'll probably have nightmares.

Overall, though, it was a successful trip.  I made some good business connections, and I got to do Manhattan location scouting for my upcoming Spider-Man novel.  Thanks to bad weather along my route home Sunday night/Monday morning, I decided to stay in town another day, which cost me more, but it was worth it for the sightseeing/research opportunity (and for avoiding freezing rain on the freeway).  My one disappointment is that I planned to go to the Public Library building on 5th Avenue (which is a location in the book), but it was closed that day.  Still, I think I remembered the pertinent details from my trip last year, supplemented with online research.  Mainly I just needed a place to sit and read for a few hours before my bus was due to leave.  I ended up going to the library on 53rd & 6th, although it took me a while to find it because I thought the guy said 53rd & 5th.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#8 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:23 PM

Next time, post here before you leave town!  Scott and I would have been happy to help with stuff!  Sorry we missed you - and hope you come through again sometime.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#9 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:52 PM

I keeeed! Jim's great, and I could never be openly hostile to someone I'm that big a fan of. I'd bring the contest thing up, but jokingly. Truth is, as ridiculous as their unstated contest rules were, I was never more than mildly annoyed. Anyway...this is page1 from the contest entry:
Posted Image
superhuman types can be found here: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=41495
-scherzo
Posted Image

#10 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:21 AM

*dude*.  that is outstanding, professional quality work.  very, very impressed.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users