3 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 10:34 AM

http://www.charlotte...cal/6057352.htm

SACRAMENTO - Two of the nation's largest cigarette makers will bring their fight against tough anti-smoking ads to a federal Sacramento courtroom Wednesday.

It's part of a bicoastal battle against advertisements that tobacco companies say violate their constitutional rights to a fair trial.

Tobacco giants R.J. Reynolds and Lorillard allege California's television and print advertisements unfairly portray tobacco executives as deviously plotting to hook teens on smoking.

One such television spot shows children in a playground with cigarettes raining down on them, said Charles A. Blixt, executive vice president and chief counsel for R.J. Reynolds, which is based in Winston-Salem, N.C.

"These ads don't educate and they don't discourage kids from smoking," he said. "They simply attack and vilify tobacco companies and the industry."

Under Proposition 99, a voter-approved initiative passed in 1998, California can use part of its cigarette taxes to warn smokers about the dangers of cigarettes.

But the tobacco industry has repeatedly said some of the ads unfairly contaminate the jury pool, paving the way for a series of recent record-breaking lawsuits against tobacco companies.

On Wednesday, the California attorney general's office will ask a federal judge to dismiss the case, said office spokesman Tom Dresslar. The judge also could issue a preliminary injunction banning the state from running the controversial ads until the case goes to trial.

"Any injury to the industry's reputation and their ability to win lawsuits is caused by their own misconduct and their disregard for public health," Dresslar said.

Meanwhile, in a Delaware court case, Greensboro, N.C.-based Lorillard is also suing to stop advertisements by the American Legacy Foundation, a Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit group that's funded through the 1998 master settlement agreement between cigarette makers and 46 states. A trial date has not yet been set in that case.

The foundation runs national advertisements showing youngsters dragging around corpses of individuals supposedly killed by smoking-related illnesses.

"The target group is 12- to 17-year-olds," said Cheryl Healton, the foundation's chief executive officer. "Last time I looked, they weren't on any juries."

A Lorillard spokesman on Tuesday didn't return phone calls seeking comment from The Associated Press.

Interesting. What do you think? Does tobacco have a legimate beef, or are they just whining because the truth is out there?

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 11 June 2003 - 10:43 AM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,265 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 10:56 AM

I think they have a point.  Sure they lied about things way back when but we've known how bad cigarettes are for awhile now and people still start smoking.  people will always smoke.  Smoking goes back to ancient Indian civilazations for crying out loud!

That said, I'm tired of lawsuits being filed over every single thing.  America is just too lawsuit happy.  But that's another thread. :p
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#3 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 11:03 AM

At this point in time, I don't think "scare tactic" commercials are necessary; however, I don't think they are unfair.

I also agree with Mary Rose ... this country is too sue happy; and I'll happily say that in another thread.  LOL

Now, should the tobacco companies win ... I hope they don't hold their breath waiting for a payoff, cuz the coffers are empty in this here once golden state.  :p

#4 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,611 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 11:33 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Jun 10 2003, 07:38 PM, said:

Interesting. What do you think? Does tobacco have a legimate beef, or are they just whining because the truth is out there?
I have to say a little of both.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: California, Tobacco, Lawsuit

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users