#1 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:38 PM

Dungeons & Dragons co-creator Gary Gygax dies at 69

http://wkbt.com/Glob...y.asp?S=7963395

He will be missed, I don't think I could have made it through my teen years without D&D Second Edition.

While my game tastes have matured long past D&D I would never have started to play without the allure of hot elven girls in taverns and the pure joy of rolling a natural 20 for a critical hit.  :blush:

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 04 March 2008 - 03:39 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:40 PM

:(

I'll roll my dice in his name

D&D kept me sane for years, and I think his loss is a huge loss to Roleplaying in general.

Aw man, that has just ruined my evening, I can't believe he's dead

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#3 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:47 PM

Godeskian, on Mar 4 2008, 08:40 PM, said:

I'll roll my dice in his name

D&D kept me sane for years, and I think his loss is a huge loss to Roleplaying in general.

Aw man, that has just ruined my evening, I can't believe he's dead

Agreed.

I have issues with D&D's reliance on random die roles way to often (I understand it has gotten better) but there is no denying he got the die rolling, and he should be remembered for that.

enTranced
Posted Image

#4 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:48 PM

I have a d20, d12, d6 and d4 sitting on my computer as I speak from when I played some 15 years ago.  I'll roll'em in his remembrance.

#5 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,818 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:53 PM

Yeah ... what he said.

I still recall the old pick-up games at conventions where character sheets were created in spiral notebooks, and part of the joy was mapping things out on graph paper and playing with those little figurines.

Actually, I've still got a complete dice set in my luggage for when I go to conventions, just on the off chance of getting into a game (however, that's been some years now, as everything seems to be tournament play :()

Well, at least he left a popular legacy that touched millions ... that's more than most of us can say.

RIP

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#6 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:23 PM

You know, I'll never forget meeting Dave Arneson at a convention eight or nine years ago, and I'd always hoped I"d be able to make it to Gencon at some point to meet Gary :(

Now If you'll excuse me, I need to go hug my dicebag.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#7 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:01 PM

Rest in Peace

Never knew his age. I shouldn't have been surprised though, as long as D&D had been around. It's been 25 years since I played.
Can't Touch This!!

#8 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:39 PM

Very sad news.

In the last few years, I've been hanging out in circles where many people I meet make a living as artists and writers in the RPG industry.  It's kind of awe-inspiring to think of how much of what is around today was born from those two guys and that one game.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#9 LaughingVulcan

LaughingVulcan

Still the property of the PPD

• Islander
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:47 PM

Wish he could make a saving throw!  ;)
  • D&D was the first thing that linked me to friends after moving to Arizona at age 11, before computers.
  • D&D was what gave me wisdom in spending money for fun things and making decisions with disposable income.    I can honestly say I got great enjoyment over every nickel I spent on it, and never regretted one dime.  Even on modules I would up never playing and the few dice I never actually rolled in game play.
  • D&D was what gave me hours and hours of reading pleasure with the original Advanced player's handbook and DM's guide.  (Plus uncounted hours of enjoyment in reading Dragon magazine, and even the Basic and Expert sets.)
  • D&D was what gave me experience in group endeavors towards a goal.
  • D&D was what gave me my first leadership experiences, as a DM.
  • D&D was what gave my sense of creativity free reign, designing and adapting characters, worlds, and modules.
  • D&D led me to believe that there is destiny, and there is randomness, simultaneously.
  • D&D led me to other games, and other players, and the primary part of my college social life, from freshman to my Bachelor's degree.
  • D&D gave me both experience in lay drafting, and artistic experience painting miniatures.
The man most singularly responsible for these things is now gone.  I hope he has found a good existence in another plane.

:cry:
Nikki's Loving LV.  Property of the PPD.  Aka "Mr. Peppermint"
The Vulcan-Pixie alliance is strong.

#10 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:19 PM

I am... *rolls*... sad.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#11 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:37 PM

Posted Image

#12 LaughingVulcan

LaughingVulcan

Still the property of the PPD

• Islander
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:46 PM

A roll for him...

Posted Image

(Also my current avatar, but you can't see the 18 roll.)
Nikki's Loving LV.  Property of the PPD.  Aka "Mr. Peppermint"
The Vulcan-Pixie alliance is strong.

#13 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:15 PM

I don't think I'll ever forget when one of the people I was playing with needed to leave the table for awhile, so in order to get himself out of the action, he told us that he was going to go whoring while the rest of us went to the tavern to do what we needed to do while we were in town.

So, naturally, my friends and I, unwilling to leave anything alone, made it end badly.

"How many diseases did he get?"  *rolls*  "12!"

"Are they cute?"  *rolls*  "Yes!"

"Are they female?"  *rolls*  "Errr...."

Rest in peace, GM.
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#14 XxTyrxX

XxTyrxX

Like chocolate for the ears...

• Islander
  • 813 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:54 AM

*sigh*  The DM of all DMs has left us but has left a great legacy behind for us to remember.  I too grabbed my dice bag, dusted off my dice and rolled my dice today.
Good... Bad... I'm the one with the gun.  -  Ash (A.o.D)

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

"If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth. - Brian Caruso
Teeth of the Tiger

#15 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:24 AM

usmarox and I decided who was going to cook dinner tonight before leaving by rolling dice.   Once a gamer, always a gamer....

My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#16 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:56 AM

I rolled as well.

On Dungeons & Dragons Online there were tributes by the players, and many party's diving into the dungeon that Gary Gygax provided the voice narration of the DM for.

#17 Mr. Synystyr

Mr. Synystyr

Watching from the shadows...

• Islander
  • 459 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:28 AM

This was sad news.  :(

I still play D&D when my friends and I can find the time.
Feel the velvet darkness caressing you...

#18 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:29 AM

jon3831, on Mar 5 2008, 01:15 AM, said:

So, naturally, my friends and I, unwilling to leave anything alone, made it end badly.

"How many diseases did he get?"  *rolls*  "12!"

"Are they cute?"  *rolls*  "Yes!"

"Are they female?"  *rolls*  "Errr...."

Rest in peace, GM.

LOL! I think that situation happens in every D&D game ever run! :)

It's sad that he is gone but where ever he is I thin he can be proud that he created THE geek social game of the century.

enTranced
Posted Image

#19 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:15 PM

The order of the stick has a fitting sort of tribute.

http://www.giantitp....s/oots0536.html

It made me smile. :)

Defy Gravity!

#20 Shadowfire

Shadowfire

I am a guy lol!!!

• Dead account
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:56 PM

We used to beat up D&D players at boarding school. But I'm saddened by this.

PROUD STUDENT OF SHEFFIELD HALLAM UNVERSITY

View PostRobL, on Jul 20 2009, 06:35 PM, said:

Every time I see a political thread I fondle myself just a little bit.............

'I honestly cannot justify that. You see, advertising isn't an art. Appealing to the English? Use someone from Hollyoaks and diss United. Scots? Talk about how evil Thatcher was. SNP is awesome etc. Americans? Well they be thick as sh*t so short sentences and shiny things and some Jesus helps too.. French and Germans? Talk about the war. Irish? f*ck that we can't sell sh*t in Ireland. That's frankly how it all works. So what I'm trying to say is that I'm happy you're dumping all this cash into advertising... I honestly don't see what you want me to do with it.  And also, that blip in the records in June was me buying monitors.-- never ask me to be 'brutally honest' about a budget.

You of course realise that anything you post here is comprised of ASCII characters? Each character is 7 bits with a parity bit making 8... I guess that's fairly meaningless to you which is actually the point. At most your sentence is a few kilobytes and considering I'm doing a file transfer of over a billion bytes right now those bytes making up your words are invisible with their insignificance, which is exact what I think of your post. Insignificant.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users