11 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:43 AM

http://www.forbes.co...923bailout.html

In fact, some of the most basic details, including the $700 billion figure Treasury would use to buy up bad debt, are fuzzy.

"It's not based on any particular data point," a Treasury spokeswoman told Forbes.com Tuesday. "We just wanted to choose a really large number."

:Oo:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#2 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:47 AM

Good Lord.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#3 Gambler

Gambler
  • Islander
  • 239 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:01 AM

"It's not based on any particular data point," a Treasury spokeswoman told Forbes.com Tuesday. "We just wanted to choose a really large number."

That statement alone scares me to death.

#4 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:11 AM

No kidding.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#5 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:15 AM

It's one of those things where I can't tell whether you're meant to laugh or cry...

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 30 September 2008 - 11:20 AM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#6 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:32 AM

How very very reassuring.    :suspect:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#7 Sinister Dexter

Sinister Dexter

You win this time, Clerks...

• Islander
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:49 PM

Some talking-head on the news earlier said that $700-billion was only about 5% of the entire US mortgage debt.

Also, I have to ask, where were they going to find that kind of money? It doesn't sound like the sort of loose change you find down the back of the sofa...
Rommie: I just want a day where I can build missiles and tweak fire control in peace
Beka: We need to find you a hobby
Rommie: That IS my hobby

Daniel: She's Hathor, the goddess of fertility, inebriety, and music
Jack: Sex, drugs and rock & roll?

Moist Von Lipvig: Oh, all right. Of course I accept as a natural born criminal, habitual liar, fraudster and totally untrustworthy perverted genius
Lord Vetinari: Capital! Welcome to government service!

Mary Raven: ....your house smells weird
Dr Vukovic: It smells of SCIENCE!

Wooster: Why is it, do you think, Jeeves, that the thought of the "little thing" my Aunt Dahlia wants me to do for her fills me with a nameless foreboding?
Jeeves: Experience, sir?

#8 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,503 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:16 PM

^borrow it of course.  We'd owe it to China, England, France, Germany, Japan, Canada, etc.  The list goes on usually.  But for all of them, it's also in their best interests to help out.

Basically, the $700 billion is to allow some movement.  Think of it like a traffic jam.  All these cars bunched up with no where to go.  (The cars symbolizing the debt.)  If you inject 700 billion in key places (along with tax breaks and incentives not numerically listed), it's like taking a couple key cars/trucks off the road.  It should allow traffic to start flowing again.  People's tempers will settle and prevent people from running out of gas (defaulting further on banks because the interest keeps raising, loans once again becoming available on a conservative basis for people to buy things and so on).

If the bailout doesn't happen, then the banks which can't loan anymore then can't gain anymore business.  If they can't loan anything out, then even people who could normally afford things can't get a loan for them. (I know that's an ironic statement. :rolleyes:)  But a person who makes $50k and looks to move into a house valued at $200k, can't.  (And oddly enough, it's very difficult to buy a house in cash. lol darn cartels :p)  Anyway, the injection is needed, but it also needs to be careful where to be injecting.  Randomly sticking a person with morphine won't alleviate the pain of a dying patient.  You need to get it into the blood stream, otherwise it's ineffective.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#9 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:05 AM

View PostSparkyCola, on Sep 30 2008, 09:15 AM, said:

It's one of those things where I can't tell whether you're meant to laugh or cry...

Sparky

Yes.

:crazy:
Posted Image

#10 Rocorolo

Rocorolo
  • Islander
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:22 AM

One of my lecturers today cited that $700 billion as an example of how the US prefers Quantitative Analysis to Qualitative Analysis.  I loled quietly and emailed him the article afterwards :)

#11 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:23 AM

Meredith Whitney says the Paulson plan "doesn't make sense."

Edited by Palisade, 02 October 2008 - 11:24 AM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#12 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:32 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Sep 30 2008, 12:15 PM, said:

Sparky

couldn't have said it better myself.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users