RIVERWORLD miniseries.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

Seen some info on this in the trades (Hollywood Reporter for one), so I guess I can 'fess up:

My miniseries adaptation of Philip Jose Farmer's RIVERWORLD books has been green-lit by the SciFi Channel.  It'll be shot by Robert Halmi Productions up in BC in March with Stuart Gillard directing.  Preproduction is under way and casting should be starting any day now.

FAQ:

1.  Wasn't there already a RIVERWORLD movie on the SciFi channel?

Yes.  There was.  About 6 years ago.  

2.  Is this a continuation of that movie?

No.  It's an all new take with (mostly) different characters and situations.

3.  Huh?

SciFi loves the world and concept of RIVERWORLD, but apparently the last version did not float their boat.  However, it did get very nice ratings.  So they commissioned a new version from Halmi which I wrote.

4.  Wait, didn't you and Hans do this like three years ago?

Yep.  We did a one-hour pilot version three years ago.  SciFi liked it, but for various reasons, it did not go forward.  Some of the work Hans and I did then laid the narrative foundation for what's in this four-hour version as well.

5.  What's in this four hour version?

A River, a riverboat, a certain post-bellum Southern author and an assortment of conquistadors, courtesans, codgers and contrarians.  One of the worst people in history.  One of the best (said author).  A half-dozen or so way cool historical figures (including two from the novels) plus some contemporary point-of-view types.

6.  Is this a faithful, beat-for-beat adaptation of "To Your Scattered Bodies Go?"

No.  It is not.  For which hereby I tender my apologies to Mister Farmer, who wrote a terrific series of novels.  Go read them.  They're great, especially TYSBG and "The Fabulous Riverboat."  There are elements and characters from both in the miniseries, but those expecting a "Lord of the Rings" style faithfulness will probably suffer from mild to severe gnashing-of-teeth.  Hopefully, I have preserved much of the tone, philosophical underpinnings, sense of adventure, and existential angst of the original novels.  And told a good yarn that fits into four hours, sets up a possible series and includes enough contemporary characters to hook a modern audience.  But it's more of a Ron Moore BSG type re-imagining than a "film the book" approach.  Let the internet crucifiction begin!

7.  Who will play [insert novel character here]?

Assuming [insert novel character here] is in the mini, casting is in the preliminary stages.  Also, I am not an Executive Producer on this one.  I was merely a writer-for-hire, a have-laptop-will-travel mercenary who rolled into town, slung a sufficient supply of lead, and then rode off to parts unknown.  My job here is done... I think.  So such things as actual execution of my ambitious blueprints are in the hands of the builders.  And I'll probably learn about casting the same time you do.  =P

8. Why do you hate America?

I love America and think she does a great job on "Ugly Betty."  I hope it comes back on the air soon.

"There are monsters, there are angels...
There's a peacefulness and a rage inside us all."
----------------------------------
Voice of the Beehive

#2 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:43 PM

Having not read this book there will be no teeth gnashing for me!

But I AM very curious why you hate America!

enTranced
Posted Image

#3 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 47,782 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:15 PM

So this was the miniseries you were working on, I kind of liked the movie and I wouldn't mind a different take on it, but I'm sure you're going to anger the purists. :cool:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#4 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:49 PM

I'm PSYCHED!!!!!

I haven't read the books but I wasn't overly impressed with sci fi's last take.  It was Kevin Smith's swan song too which made it difficult for me to watch.  Mostly though it was the acting that I thought really fell short of good in the last one (though I LOVED the guy who played Sam Clemes).  I can only hope that this one is cast better.  I have no doubt at all that it's better written.

Lil
Posted Image

#5 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:55 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on Feb 4 2009, 03:49 PM, said:

though I LOVED the guy who played Sam Clemes

You mean Rafe Valentine?  =P

I can only hope that this one is cast better. I have no doubt at all that it's better written.

I won't have much control over A.  As for B, thanks for the vote of confidence.

Voice of the Beehive

#6 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

View PostRobert Hewitt Wolfe, on Feb 4 2009, 03:55 PM, said:

View PostBad Wolf, on Feb 4 2009, 03:49 PM, said:

though I LOVED the guy who played Sam Clemes

You mean Rafe Valentine?  =P

AYUP.  iMO he should have been the lead.  That alone would have improved it by miles.

I can only hope that this one is cast better. I have no doubt at all that it's better written.

I won't have much control over A.  As for B, thanks for the vote of confidence.

Hey I'm calling it based on previous experience (though I stand by my opinion of Little Green Men.;))
Posted Image

#7 eechick

eechick
  • Islander
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:48 PM

Congrats! I liked the books. But, since I haven't read them in years, there will be no gnashing of teeth.

#8 Neptunian

Neptunian
  • Islander
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:21 AM

Thanks for posting this! Any chance it will premiere by the end of the year?

#9 tallulah

tallulah
  • Islander
  • 574 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:04 PM

I haven't read the books but saw the previous incarnation on SciFi.  This version is going to be much better!!  Yay!

T.
Three L's and an H.
--The Doctor

Dinner and bondage.  Works for me.
--Margaret, Dr. Who, though, really, it could be anyone

When nice girls learn to respect themselves, they'll always finish first.
--Marin, Men in Trees

#10 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,192 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:50 PM

View PostRobert Hewitt Wolfe, on Feb 4 2009, 07:44 PM, said:

It'll be shot by Robert Halmi Productions up in BC in March

Big production shot in BC - what part do you think Steve Bacic will play?   :whistle:

Halmi Productions - if recent tv movies are a guide, character development will either never be filmed or end up on the cutting-room floor...

Still, sounds interesting and I'm sure I'll watch!  I'd forgotten about Kevin Smith on the last one...shame on me.  (Is it out on dvd?)

And what's this about hating America??
Cats will never be extinct!

#11 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 7,307 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:43 AM

But still, congratulations.  And here's hoping that what you wrote ends up being aired.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#12 Ashanti

Ashanti

Die-hard TYRant

• Islander
  • 796 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:47 AM

Thanks for posting the info Robert.

Though I haven't read the books nor seen the previous incarnation on sci-fi, I have to agree with Lil on her assesment that this time round writing will be better than before. :)  
Fingers crossed sci fi will show the miniseries in the UK at some poin, I'll be sure to watch.
What does it profit a man to gain the world and loose his soul. If you don't know where you're coming from, you don't know where you're heading.
Past, present and future.

#13 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:07 PM

My BC Intelligence Network (aka Google) tells me casting is underway in Vancouver.  Nice.

Voice of the Beehive

#14 sftv

sftv
  • Islander
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:07 PM

View PostRobert Hewitt Wolfe, on Feb 11 2009, 11:07 AM, said:

My BC Intelligence Network (aka Google) tells me casting is underway in Vancouver.  Nice.

Cool news.  The previous movie definitely could have done better in adapting the concepts.  I'll definitely give this adaptatation a shot, especially with a RHW script.  

If it starts filming in March, it would likely end up being SciFi's big miniseries event in December (which they didn't have last year due to the writer's strike) unless they've got something else in the pipeline that hasn't been announced.

Lee Whiteside

#15 benesound

benesound

Ben Eternal Sound

• Islander
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:26 AM

I'm looking forward to this. I enjoyed the books.  Though it has been quite a while since I read them.

I watched the previous movie, but too much was left out, including the hero's primary objective.

#16 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:52 PM

Apparently Philip Jose Farmer has died.  Was he aware of the new project?

Obama 2008: Yes We Can!

Obama 2012: No You Didn't.

Posted Image

#17 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:00 AM

^ Yeah, I heard.  See my post in GMD.  Unfortunately, I never got to meet or talk to Mr. Farmer, but the new project was mentioned on his official webpage (or a webpage claiming to be official) so I assume he was aware.  One of the downsides of just being a writer for hire on something like this was that, unlike DRESDEN FILES, I didn't have much control or influence over the lines of communication with the original creator.

Which is a drag, beacuse I loved the RIVERWORLD books as a teenager and I really enjoyed re-reading them in preperation for this project.

Voice of the Beehive

#18 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:33 AM

I loved the first couple of books but sort of faded out on the concept after that. Maybe I should now revisit them.
I do hope the UK gets a look at the result of your work, Robert. I keep looking for Dresden on the DVD shelves and not seeing it, which is a shame as I enjoyed the two episodes I did get to see.
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#19 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:14 PM

Apparently casting is well underway for RIVERWORLD up in Vancouver, including auditions for Sam (Clemens), Matt, and Allegra.

How do I know this?

Because it was on Adrian Paul's website.

http://adrianpaulnew...riverworld.html

Yes. Adrian Paul's webmaster is more in the loop about this thing than I am. :cool:

Edited by Robert Hewitt Wolfe, 11 March 2009 - 03:17 PM.

Voice of the Beehive

#20 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:59 PM

Officially announced on SciFi Wire:  http://scifiwire.com...antom-alice.php

Tomoe was active in the 12th century, not the 13th, but accurate other than that.

Voice of the Beehive

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users