• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#1 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,193 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:29 PM

I am unfortunately the bearer of very sad news. Shalamar, one of our own, passed away on January 17th, 2010.

She had found out back in September that she was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. Not only rare, but unique in that she was supposedly the first documented case with a certain other condition.

This is what she wrote in December of 09 on one of her boards...

The lungs have the doc's dancing -As extensive research on their part says that...guess what...I'm unique. They can't find a single doccumented case of someone with Peutz Jegher having this sort of cancer.

You see the far and away the vast majority of those with this cancer are young, non smoking, women of oriental extraction.

I am not young, and though I have always had an extreme affinity for all things Japanese, I don't have a single oriental gene in my body to the best of my knowledge - I'm 5'11", red haired, brown eyes, very fair skinned and caucasian.

But I have Bronchioloalveolar carcinoma (BAC ) - a rare form of non small cell lung cancer, a subset of adenocarcinoma. So like with the Peutz Jegher I get to be a lab rat - though they didn't out and out say so. (But the looks in their eyes and comments like "this may help research find a link " - )

The good thing is that they have a fairly painless chemotherapy for it, that works pretty good they say - and the fact that the side effects are very mild are what has made me willing to give it a try -it's a pill that one takes daily for 30 days at a time. Side effects are relatively mild. You get a red rash on you face - acne ( at my age! ) and might have a very minor bit of nausea and loose bowls ( but which reponds easily to Immodium )

I get a base line CT and chest Xray on the 22nd, start the pills on the 23rd.

The one huge drawback - and it makes me glad that I am on the county's indigent system ( medicare through SSD has not kicked in yet ) - one 30 day supply costs close to 5,000 dollars - yeah 5 K ( shudders )

Then we see if it worked - but the survival prognosis ( the standard 5 year thing ) is over all not very good. Surgery would have been the best option - that has an incredible 5 and then 10 year survival rate, but as both lungs are involved with a large number of lesions thats not going to happen.

So while this may slow it down substancially, ( if it works ) it isn't going to be a majic bullet - and I'm cool with that.

I hadn't seen her here on Ex Isle, or anywhere else for about a month so I got curious and checked a board that I had set up for her. That's when I found this, posted by one of her longtime friends dated 1/14/2010.

My name is Shadow, and I have been a friend (and gaming buddy) of Shal's for 20 years. She asked me to let y'all know that she is in the hospital, and the prognosis is not good. They don't know yet when she will be going home, and she's not expected to make it to 2011.

In typical Shal fashion she wants to apologize for leaving any RPs hanging.

Of course, I was worried about my dear friend, so I e-mailed Shadow for any information as to her condition...where she was staying...anything...and today I was met with the worse news possible...

I'm sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings.  Shal passed on Jan. 17.  She had been released from the hospital the previous afternoon, at her request; she wanted to go home.  She crashed that night.

Most of you know how close Shal and I were back in the hey-day of Slipstream and Ex Isle. That was no put-on. I truly loved her, and will always love her. She holds a special place in my heart, and she always will. That special place merely has new meaning now. She once sent me a stuffed pillow tiger...that I have slept with ever since...and shall continue to sleep with til my dying day.

This is something she was prepared for. She accepted her fate. If you don't believe me, listen to her own words.

My comment about it all - I will survive for as long as I am supposed to. The Universe just likes to keep me humble.

Blessed Be, Shalamar Thorskald. You will be sorely missed. The universe will not be the same place without you. May the Goddess be with you in all the empty places you must walk.
Posted Image

#2 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,345 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:32 PM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Rommie}}}}}}}}}}}}}} :(

RIP Shal - finally a release from pain and illness - you will be missed by many.

It's very complex. If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear? Perhaps she has done something wrong ~ Castiel

#3 tallulah

tallulah
  • Islander
  • 574 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:37 PM

So sorry to hear this.  Rommie and all of Shal's friends, my thoughts are with you.

T.
Three L's and an H.
--The Doctor

Dinner and bondage.  Works for me.
--Margaret, Dr. Who, though, really, it could be anyone

When nice girls learn to respect themselves, they'll always finish first.
--Marin, Men in Trees

#4 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:53 PM

Sad to hear this, she was kind and I enjoyed reading her posts.  I'll miss her.

#5 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:54 PM

Rest in Peace, in the arms of the goddess Shalamar.

Blessed be.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#6 Pixiedust

Pixiedust

Still the stupidest member of the party

• Islander
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:59 PM

So sorry to hear this. RIP.
Posted Image

#7 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:01 PM

I remember Shal chewing me out a few times. I always deserved it, too. ;)

RIP, dear.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#8 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:14 PM

:cry: :cry:

Rest in peace, Shalamar.

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning...

(back to lurkdom)
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#9 ArdenCabbel

ArdenCabbel

S.L.o.P.

• Islander
  • 946 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:16 PM

I am deeply saddened to see her go.  She was the first person here to give me support on my book project.  And one of the most entertaining people to read the posts of.  Not to mention my Vice Presidential running mate in the 2008 elections.

Requiescat in Pace Shalamar.

[Edited to Add Vp]

Edited by ArdenCabbel, 15 February 2010 - 04:40 PM.

Posted Image

#10 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:17 PM

omg how awful!!!  :cry:

RIP, Shal. :(

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#11 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:17 PM

OMG! :( Shal's been around forever, I've "known" her since 2000. I can't believe she's gone. At least she's free of all her pain now, and hopefully with all her cats that she'd lost. She'd like to see them again, I know.

RIP, Shal :heart:.

#12 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,193 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:22 PM

I'm going to give it a day, and then I'm going to create a lasting memorial, like that of emsparks'. Who knew...who ever thought...that we'd have another one for a dearly departed friend...
Posted Image

#13 ilexx

ilexx
  • Islander
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:26 PM

So very sorry about Shalamar. RIP.

#14 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:38 PM

Rest in peace, Shal.

Something has spoken to me in the night, burning the tapers of the waning year;
something has spoken in the night, and told me I shall die, I know not where.
Saying:
"To lose the earth you know, for greater knowing;
to lose the life you have for greater life;
to leave the friends you loved, for greater loving;
to find a land more kind than home, more large than earth.
Whereon the pillars of this earth are founded..."

Edited by Rhea, 16 February 2010 - 01:08 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#15 White Tiger

White Tiger

God, The Universe and everything...

• Islander
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:39 PM

Goodbye Shalamar :(
Hatred ever kills, love never dies such is the vast difference between the two. What is obtained by love is retained for all time. What is obtained by hatred proves a burden in reality for it increases hatred.
M.Ghandi.
And the ONE MILLIONTH POSTER ON EXISLE!

#16 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:42 PM

Rest in peace Shalamar :humble:

{{{{{{{{{Rommie, and all Shal's friends and relations}}}}}}}}}}

I liked and respected Shal a great deal - she will be missed :(

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#17 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this! :( RIP Shal!
"A song for a heart so big, god wouldn't let it live. May angels lead you in. Hear you me my friends.
On sleepless roads the sleepless go.
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

#18 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:46 PM

It's no secret to anyone that Shal and I had our bad moments.  I'm so glad we were both able to put that aside over the past year and tell each other how much we did care about one another.  I am so thankful we had a chance to mend our fences.  I'll love her forever for allowing that to happen between us.

RIP Shal.  I'll never forget you, your dignity, nor your charity of spirit.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#19 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:48 PM

View PostRommieSG, on Feb 15 2010, 04:22 PM, said:

I'm going to give it a day, and then I'm going to create a lasting memorial, like that of emsparks'. Who knew...who ever thought...that we'd have another one for a dearly departed friend...

Yes, please...I think we will need that. :(

{{{{{{{{{{{{{Rommie}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Thank you for letting us know.  I knew about the illness, but I had been hoping....not this soon. :(

We have all lost someone very special.  Shal always walked in the Light.

Peridot
Posted Image

#20 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:49 PM

If anyone wants to find out more about Shalamar or remember her class and nature, this is her OTer of the week thread (a small bio and question answering session in OT).

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users