• This topic is locked This topic is locked
378 replies to this topic

#1 Perpetual Malcontent

Perpetual Malcontent

The Eternal Explorer

• Islander
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 06:28 PM

Constance was led to the master's private rooms.

"Nice decor, who's your decorator?  The Marquis de Sade?"

The master growled at her and pushed her on the bed.

"You talk far too much for my liking."

fade to black

#2 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 12:38 PM

The Inn, as it is simply called by those that frequent it, throws open its doors to let in the fresh morning air.  Savory cooking smells pour forth to mingle with the scents from the expanse of gardens that surround it.  The Inn's grounds cover almost six square miles, the entirety of the island

The hundred foot long bridge that connects it to the main island looks as old as the stones and timbers of The Inn itself, but hide the most modern of construction.  

Almost seventy feet below the waters of the crystaline blue ocean crash and furl on the miniscule rocky shore that lies at the base of the near vertical cliff faces of both islands.

The Inn's co owner and manager, Michiko Jones, is putting rounds down range in one of the sub basement shooting galleries.  The target when she runs it in for inspection, has a grouping of 10 shots that could be covered by a quarter throne.  This has become daily practise of late.  Some thing dark is moving about the city, indeed perhaps the entire planet of Island.

Just over a year ago, the planet was home to nothing sentient save the Mer, an aquatic race that by appearance are the basis for the old earth legends of Mermaids and Mermen.  Then the small but wealthy Drift known as SlipStream suffered catastropic environemntal damage and self destructed.  The survivors, some three hundred thousand strong, sought a new home...this planet Island.  The wealth of the drift went into purchaseing the planet, and building the first city...Landing.

Not every one had chosen to live in Landing.  There are several smaller cities and towns, and a number took remote holdings, prefering to be far from the possibly maddening crowds

Landing was the biggest, with the StarPort, and the newly reopened University, and a population of about one hundred thousand.  People had settled in, businesses opened and most flourished.

But of late something dark is moving...people are vanishing..but there is plenty of unoccupied, rich land, so perhaps they have just moved on...There are known dangerous animals, the planet is mostly unexplored, accidents happen far from civilization and never are discovered...

But...some of the refugees weren't as human as they appeared, some things that boarded the over crowded rescue ships and bulk freighters looked human, but had never been...and some know this.  Others never will...until they become...dinner.

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#3 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 04:32 AM

A tall, weathered man walks into the inn, brushing the rain off his coat as he walks to a seat at the bar near the roaring fire.

he slips out of his coat into the clothes that everyone knows him by. A white shirt and slacks, with a simple pin of the Medical proffesion, a white snake, and a pin of the undertakers guild, a black skull, side by side.

brushing his crop of silver hair back to get the rain out of it, he smiles to Michiko.

"Evening Michiko, can I have the usual please?" he asks, depositing some money on the bar.

"Sure Jono," She replies, sweeping up the money and placing the order. "One peppersteak, with extra peppers, and glass of water coming up. Busy day?" she asks, looking at the large amount of papers sticking out from his coat.

"Not as such, we had another wild animal attack, and this one was messy. I'm busy compiling a report for the oversight commitee, to try and pin down what kind of animal is doing it. The papers are all the previous reports."

#4 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 05:43 AM

Michiko was glad of Jono's arrival.  The day that had started so brightly had turned exceptionally stormy, as seemed to be the pattern when Island's three moons lined up.  The lunch crowd had been heavy, but the storm had moved in soon after.

Jono was her first customer of the evening.  The two couples renting suites at The Inn had left in the mornig and were not yet returned.  She figured them for dining and dancing intown, even though dinner was included in the rates.

"Not another?"  Michiko frowned.  This was the fifth death by animal attack,and if it were like the others, overwhelmingly violent.  

"Can I see the autopsy?  I know that I am no longer Official.."  She and Jono had worked together often on the drift.  Well, she had brought him bodies and he had provided the offical autopsy reports. Though she had been the head of the tactics squad rather than the Investigations Division, she knew her way around an autopsy and forensics report.  He had appreciated her keen eye for minute oddities before, maybe he still did. *and it never hurts to ask* she thought.

#5 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 05:54 AM

Jono chuckled as he drank some of the water. "Well, seeing as you are the senior surviving member of the drift security, i don't see why not." he said as he pulled the sheaf of papers out and passed them over the bar.

"But I do warn you, " He said going serious. "These pictures aren't pretty. Remember when you found that Nietszchean Helekar, after he'd stumbled into one of the fans?"

Michiko nodded, it had been a rather gruesome death by accidental causes. Helekar had gotten drunk, and had broken down one of the doors to a air purification area and sumbled into one of the massive extraction fans.

"Yeah, " Jono said as he looked at her, "There wasn't much of these guys left either."

#6 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 06:30 AM

"The Niets said good riddance to him. Alcohol versus superior genetics. Alcohol won."...Michiko grinned tightly.  She'd seen worse that that, but there were some things she didn't talk about.  She looked the packet over carefully.

"What ever did it had claws even bigger than a Cane 'Coon..I don't care that they are 90 to a 100 pounds. Their claws are just not as big as what ever did this"... She looked carefully a the holopic.

Cane 'Coons, a native mamal that closely resembled monster sized Terran racooons, were the current favorite boogeyman.  She pulled out a length of Gold Cane, roughly three feet long and about six inches in diameter.  The Gold Cane, a bamboo like plant with a metalic golden hue was deeply scored.

"There's atleast one Canie living on the grounds and while it shredded this piece easily..look at the claw patterns. NO."...She stated decisively...."No Canie did this.  Some people are too close to hysterical"

She chuffed derisively.  Michiko did not suffer fools gladly, and not at all when she felt they were being obviously witless.  Canies were omnivorous and might take a  small child or badly injured person, but the attacks had all been on adult males of rather impressive build.  The current uproar of 'hunt them all down' irritated her to no end and she had been rather outspoken over it.

#7 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 06:42 AM

"You can't really blame people for panicking i suppose." He said thoughtfully, "And you're right about the Canies. Take a look at the last but two picture. Those tracks aren't from anything we've cataloged so far."

Turning to the picture in question, Jono pointed out a single set of tracks that had been highlighted by the morgue computer. They were roughly humanoid in design with five toes.

"What you can't see from the picture," Jono said, "is that the entire foot must have been covered in fur or hair."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because there are dozens of tiny, strand indentations all around the foot. Now we've matched up various animals and the only suggestion I can make is that we're talking about something with substantial amounts of fur. Because some furs that we have here create a similar pattern when they are pressed into mud."

Jono looked at Michiko, eyes heavy "Unfortunately, no one has seen this thing at all."

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#8 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 06:42 AM

Carlotta leapt out of the water and shook herself, with one snap of her jaws the fish stopped wriggling. She growled playfully at her siblings…daring them to deprive her of her prey. Only Mikael moved forward, she bared her teeth, dropped the fish, sat back on her hind legs and waited. Before Mikael could make his move Carlotta caught the unmistakable scent of her father….as usual he was in human form. She sighed, dropped to the ground and adopted the customary submissive posture, her father came to a halt directly in front of her

“Carlotta I need to speak with you…meet me in the Great Hall in an hour……oh and Carlotta, in human form if you please!”

She whined, nudged Mikail, dropped the fish next to him and ran off through the woods towards her fathers house. She paded through the gates and made her way to the old barn. Once inside she lay on the ground and willed herself to assume her human form

#9 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 07:24 AM

Michiko had looked at the last two pictures...."They recovered hair didn't they.  If the Planetary Council would lay out for a genetic sequencer."

"and the A.I. to handle it"  Jono finished for her, as she share a look of mutual disgust at the Councils unwilingness to spend the hefty pricetag for a sequencer, and more for the A.I needed to use it with any efficiency.

However, right at this moment Michiko was heartily glad such was not to be had.  The memory still haunted her dreams. Dreams of someting she has once believed was limited to Earth. Something she has seen evidence of on 'her' drift, but had thought, relievedly, as dead as the Drift was.  Her mind wandered back to the night she had trailed a suspect, or chased something...the patter of claws on the bare metal floors in the dim depths of the Drift,...stopping short of a sudden bend in the corridor.  Hairs lifting on the nape of  the neck as she watched a shadow change...

She jumped slightly as Thor, the great golden eagle she had rescued from the travelling exhibit as the Drift disentegrated about them, screamed from the back patio.  He wanted in from the night storm's fury, and her company.  Relieved to be pulled from the memory, she excused herself to go let him into his aeri.

She could feel Jono's eyes on her as she left.

IN THE BARN...

"Mistress Carlotta, your father sent me with some appropriate clothes"...The servant spoke nothing else, laying the pile of neatly folded clothing on a table, and leaving quickly.

#10 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 07:40 AM

Jono sat back as he watched Michiko walk away. He didn't need any of his powers to be able to read the discomfort in whatever memory she was reliving.

Unfortunately for him, he had many such memories, and he had a vague suspicion that one of his previous incarnations had known exactly what made tracks like that.

It was damming to know that if only you could reach them, you could speak and acces the memories of a thousand lifetimes. Some he remembered very well, some he barely recalled.

He glanced out of the window into the rainswept street. There was something out there. Something predatory, and dangerous, but unlike the commitee or the council, he didn't believe it was intentionally dangerous. From the attacks, it appeared to be more like an animal hunting, because the bodies were always chewed up as if whatever it was had eaten them.

an instant of memory overcame him, a person, him, in a different incarnation, talking to.......and it was gone., with an angry snarl he turned back to his food. If only he could remember.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#11 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 07:44 AM

Silver looked out the window of her apartment. The storm was blowing pretty heavily and she had closed for the evening since she figured no one would be coming out in such a downpour. Turning back, she went into the kitchen where her dinner was waiting~chicken and some carrots for vegetables. She had learned to cook and tolerate cooked food to keep suspicion down on what she really was. When she got to hungering for raw meat, which was not often, she could hunt some of the wild animals that roamed on her rather large tract of land she had acquired when she arrived on Island.

She lived on the outskirts of Landing, partly isolated, just how she liked it. She trusted no one, and it was near impossible to win her trust. Her jewelry business had taken off and she had many regular customers and her shop downstairs stayed fairly busy when the weather wasn't inclement, that is.

Settling down, she ate her meal, giving any scraps to her white tiger, Shiva, the only thing besides her clothing and jewelry stock she had saved from the drift. He usually roamed free on her property, knowing his limits, but would take refuge inside when the weather was bad, as it was now. He was the only company she had.

#12 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 08:19 AM

Carlotta picked up the clothes and laughed

“A skirt and blouse, and these are appropriate for what exactly?”

She got dressed and made her way into the house, heading for the Great Hall. Once there she threw herself into one of the over sized arm chairs and stared into the fire...how she hated the restraints of humanity

“Carlotta, I do believe you’re actually early”

She looked up and smiled

“Yes Father and I’m in your preferred form and wearing the clothes you picked out for me! So do you want to tell me why you needed to see me?”

Sergei frowned at his only child

“Perhaps I just wanted to spend some time with my daughter, had you thought of that”

Carlotta winced

“Forgive me…..it’s just that…. You know how much I hate wearing this human mask….I would rather be outside, catching fish, playing with cubs, enjoying the sunshine…..so please whatever it is you wish to say, say”

Sergei sat in the chair opposite her, he rubbed his eyes wearily

“We have to leave this place Lottie, we have been summoned, all lukoi have been summoned to a great conclave, we are to meet with three other clans at the Slipstream Drift four days from now”

“Summoned, summoned by who?”

“Their names are of no importance to you my child…. I need you to gather the cubs and ready them for the journey……we all travel as humans, no shape shifting will be allowed for the duration of the journey”

Carlotta rose from the chair and went to stand in front of the fire

“What if I don’t want to leave?”

Sergei rose and stood beside her

“That is not an option Lottie, I am the pack Alpha and as such you will do as I request, no arguments, no questions …… now go and prepare yourself and the others for travel. You have until nightfall tomorrow, then we depart for the Drift”

#13 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 09:34 AM

OOC: Due to the nature of this character, I'm going to start the night before the morning of Shal's post.

The figure moved silently through the grounds towards the gothic-patterned structure, moving impossibly quiet in the wee hours of the new day.

At the base of the wall he stopped, and looked up the wall, appearing to see though his eyes were closed, as if through his eyelids, he was able to look straight through the wall.  His eyes blinked open, apparently satisfied.

What came next, and observer would have been hard pressed to explain, though hiding in the shadows, he was next to impossible to see.  He began to murmer, his palms held out facing the ground.  As he did so, he began to rise off the ground.  An observer would have shrieked, for not only was he levitating, but his hands resembled black paws, and the band of skin about his eyes appeared to have turned black.  The shamanic mask was something he had no control over.

He feet touched the ledge on the third floor without a sound, and he knelt to peer into the window.  His murmering began anew as his fingers, while still out in free air, opened the clasp of the window inside, and slowly pulled it open.  

He hopped in and moved quickly.  The glass urn of bluish powder sat open on the desk.  He picked it up without hesitation and put it into the raccoon skin bag at his side, and in its place, put an antique dagger that certainly had heavy monetary value, due to its age and origin, but held very little worth in his eyes any longer.

The window closed behind him as he jumped, his fall once again slowed by his hands and murmuring.  He disappeared into the woods, pausing only to collect a shord, black bladed sword, and a bow.

He looked up at the house.
 "Easy money," Alecks whispered to himself, moving quickly into the woods.

~~~~~~~~Later that Morning~~~~~~~~~

Alecks walked with his usual silence into the inn.  The thin man looked as wild in the day as he did in the night, but his eyes betrayed the inner calm.  A long sleeve shirt covered the tattoos on his arms, which were often the cause of much attention by the local patrons.

"Good morning," he said in a liltingly accented voice, its tone low and soothing, as if he was constantly soothing a wild animal caught in a trap.  "Coffee?"

#14 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 09:43 AM

Lynea walked into the inn early that morning, pausing at the threshold to regard the room thoughtfully. She was quite short with sandy-blond hair and blue eyes. Over her trousers and shirt she wore a thick raincoat, on her back she carried a pack. Her face was weary as if she had been up all night. She moved across the room and sat down at the bar, glancing at the tattoed man over at her right. Lynea returned her attention to the bar to look over the menu.
Rejected and gone.

#15 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 09:45 AM

"Morning Lynea, Alecks. You two look like something the cat drug in." Jono said commenting on their rain soaked coats.

"But then the weather has been a little like that today."

Defy Gravity!

#16 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 10:03 AM

A harried hostess had waved Alecks to his usual spot in the farthest corner, but instead of the waitress whose section it was, Michiko brought over a carafe of coffee and a pitcher of cream.  A platter of bacon followed as well as fluffy biscuits with butter and honey.  Mock frowning, for Alecks had learned, slowly, to tell the diference between the real and the fake, she reached out and tousled his unrulely hair even more.

"I thought we agreed. You get all the bacon you want, and I get to see you with your hair combed."

#17 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 10:04 AM

Lynea glanced over her shoulder at Jono before quickly ordering breakfast. She then turned around fully to regard him, pushing back the hood she'd been wearing. "Yeah, terrible weather." She agreed. "I'm hoping it'll clear up soon." She said as she unslung her backback and laid it next to her seat.
Rejected and gone.

#18 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 10:48 AM

Alecks looked up.  "I *did* comb my hair this morning.  Its not my fault!"

He pulls out the comb and runs it through his hair, trying to get it in order.  "Is that any better?"

He picked up a slice of bacon with his fingers and bit into it.  "As good as the first day you opened," he complimented, offering her a seat with a flourish of his hand.

"And the coffee is perfect.  Especially for an night owl like me."

#19 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 10:59 AM

"I'd love to Alecks, but Sandy called in again.  Her morning sickness is really doing her dirty."...Michiko gave him a smile, one she rarely gave to other than friends, and hurried to pick up the order for another table full of customers.  She left the faintest whiff of cordite behind.  That told Alecks that she had been up extra early, spending more time in the shooting gallery, useing the archaic slug thrower that she favored.

#20 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 11:12 AM

*the journey*
Carlotta said goodbye to her home and joined her family for the long journey ahead. They made good progress and soon were in sight of the Drift where they planned to change ships...but disaster struck, the Drift suffered a terrible catastrophe before their ship could arrive, most of the pack were able to secure transport on other ships, Carlotta, her Father and 14 of their pack managed to board an old freighter and were transported to Island which had up to that point been a largely unihabited place

*the present day*

Carlotta finally found her father in one of the small dwellings on the northernmost tip of his lands

"Father.....why are we still here...this place was supposed to a temporary refuge and yet a year later we are still here!"

Sergei smiled at his daughter

"We are still here because I like it here, I have land, the pack is content, except you of course, you are never content"

Carlotta paced restlessly

"I do not like this place, I have to stay in this weak and pathetic form, no longer can I run free....even your lands are not secure enough to allow us to live as nature intended... I am tired of living as a human...my wolf calls to me and yet I must ignore it!"

Sergei growled softly

"You will do as I tell you Carlotta, I am your father and your superior.....if your mother were still alive she ....."

Carlotta cursed under her breath

"But she isn't is she Father, she's dead...I killed her. There's no point in talking to you....you're mind is made up"

She rushed from the room and headed off into Landing. She made her way to the Inn, the only place in the city that she felt at all comfortable in

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users